The project is the construction of two new buildings for Liverpool John Moores University which has been awarded to principal contractor Morgan Sindall. The site is central to four roads in the centre of Liverpool – Copperas Hill, Brownlow Hill, Hawke Street and Russell Street. Most recently, the site was home to the old Royal Mail building, although there is history of factories and houses also on the plot. The two buildings are named The Student Life Building and Sports Building.
The Scope of Works is broken down into the following sections;
- Enabling works drainage & site set-up for welfare. Tarmac footpaths & site car park.
- Foundations – reinforced pile cap foundations & ground beams in the Student life building & mass fill foundations and ring beam in the sports building. Largest being circa 350m3 within core and bridging slab. Foundations cast within sandstone.
- Crane/MEWP mat for steel erectors installation phase. To be reduced after installation.
- Drainage – Surface water & foul systems ranging from 100mm – 300mm diameter. Combined sewer connection.
- RC Retaining walls, ramps, steps in various locations.
- Waterproofing to retaining walls & lift pits etc.
- Lift pit construction.
- 380m3 attenuation tank excavation & install.
- Interceptor tank.
- Holding down bolts fabricated and positioned in foundations.
- Slabs to ground floor & upper floors including reduce level dig for ground floors & reinforcement to all.
- External works which will comprise of hard/soft landscaping. (details TBC)
- Grouting to columns upon completion of steel erectors.
- Cart off site surplus material.