The Heath High School is currently being rebuilt, with a capacity of 1,250 pupils. The new school building will include a sports and community centre, activity hall, dance and drama studios and a café.
Throughout the grounds, there will be new external features. This includes tennis courts, multi-use game areas, an amphitheatre and dining terrace.
The building will house a sixth form and specialist laboratories, workshops and classrooms ‘befitting a 21st century school’.
The Scope of Works is broken down into the following sections:
- Access road and car park – Access road from existing school entrance and car park for circa 120 cars constructed.
- Attenuation tank – 520m3 storage capacity.
- Combined service trench.
- External and internal drainage – Drainage ranging from 100mm to 525mm.
- External finishes – A permeable tarmac MUGA pitch was constructed, also the perimeter of the building was edged with precast concrete edgings and tarmac installed.
- Foundations – a combination of pad foundations and ground beams were constructed.
- Piling mat.
- SUDS drainage system – Swale system was constructed within the existing school field.
- Slabs for the ground floor, 1st floor and 2nd floor.
- Timber heading tunnel – a timber headed tunnel was required to carry services from the site perimeter to site, this was due to a hydrogen and brine main crossing the entrance to site.